Thursday, January 29, 2015

They're not dessert!

Everyday after school I have snacks ready in the car.  It is not because the school (which is excellent) does not provide food.  Heck, they provide breakfast, morning snack, lunch, and an afternoon snack. My kid consumes some serious calories throughout the day.  But, for some odd reason, right when I pick her up she is SERIOUSLY hungry.

(The first minute after entering the car)
Bel: Dad....where are my snacks?
Bel: Do you have a surprise snack for me?
Bel: Do you have a milk?
Bel: Why don't we go and get ice cream?
Dad: Um....

Well....this day was not what I had expected.  I had forgotten every snack, milk and surprise because of an afternoon appointment that had run long.  So, the backup plan was to go to Wal-Mart and grab the few household things I needed along with a snack, This decision meant dragging Annabel past all the impulse buy shelving on the way to the dish-washing liquid aisle.  Bright idea, right?  Wrong! Really, really wrong.

As we past these 'pods' of impulse, Bel would extend her hand out and try to grab anything within her reach. And I have to admit.....she is really fast at grabbing things on the fly while hanging halfway out of the cart!  She grabbed M&Ms, peanuts, loofah sponges, and of course a movie....Gremlins.

-Dad: 'No, honey.  You cannot watch that!'
-Bel: 'But Dad! It has a cute little...little...what is that anyway?'
-Dad: Seriously.  You don't want to know.

After quickly throwing the movie back into the impulse 'pod' for some other sucker to purchase, I continued on my journey to the back of the store to retrieve three items: a healthier snack for Bel, dishwashing liquid, and dog treats.

Of course the scenario is predictable when you are shopping with a child and that child spots the chip aisle from 200 feet away.  How does she do that?!

Her eyes lock, not on the chips, but on the chocolate covered pretzels.  'Okay', I say.  I guess if you are going to snack on something it could be a lot worse.  And besides....I LOVE chocolate pretzels!

By the time we arrive at the check-out area the two of us have eaten half the bag of pretzels. Bel also has chocolate ALL over her face.  To avoid embarrassment from a mother cashier or the soccer mom with the three perfect kids and a ridiculous Gucci bag standing in front of us, I do the self check-out thing.

Bel loves to scan the bar codes anyway.

As we head to our car with our groceries I explain that we are heading home to cook a pizza for dinner and have some carrots as our vegetable.  She looks at me with that stink-eye look she gives everyone that she disagrees with and says, 'Sure Dad, that sounds great.  I love pizza.  We can cook it right after I finish my snack.  Because chocolate pretzels are not dessert...they are a snack.  The bag says so!'

 Priceless......

No comments:

Post a Comment