Wednesday, January 21, 2015

A Boat Show Story

Every night I read multiple books to my child so that she may understand that reading is cool and from reading knowledge is gained.  I have patience and read the SAME book multiple times every evening before she crashes.  Sometimes I even fall asleep reading these books to my daughter and of course she nudges me and whispers, "Dad, Dad, Dad. You're supposed to read this book to me. Not fall asleep! Ugh."

Each night though, after all the words have been consumed from the books and placed within my daughter's head, she still wants more. She then asked, "Dad.....can YOU tell me a story?" Of course I will heed to my Bel's wishes. I will create some tale to please the child even though I could curl myself up in my daughter's tiny bed and fall asleep immediately. This is where the art of story telling really begins.

I created this elaborate story about a young girl who was going to have a glorious time at school the next day (which was Friday).  This girl was going to laugh, dance, and sing in class.  She was going to play games with her friends at school and create complex pieces of kid art that her Mom and Dad would hang on their fridge.  This kid was going to eat ALL of her lunch at school.  And....if this girl was REALLY REALLY good she could go to the Atlanta Boat Show on Saturday with her Daddy. (Booyah! I'm doing something adult this weekend and coning my daughter into it.)

A tremendous amount of excitement came out of my daughter at that moment.  I could see the sparkle in her eyes and the big smile on her face.  She wanted to go see boats!  Excitement even filled me up at that moment just by living vicariously through her.  I could go and see a grown-up event that would be fun for me....as well as for my kid.  (Not to mention that kids get in free!) This was going to work!  At least I thought so....

"Now, Daddy.  Let me tell you MY bedtime story" , she replied.  She began the story slowly and then it started to speed up. "There is this Princess.....WHO really wants to go to the boat show.  Annnndddd......her Mom and Dad took her to the boat show on Friday instead of taking her to school! THE END"!

No way....my kid didn't just school me? Did she? She then smiled and snuggled down for the night.

I had a true negotiation on my hands the very next day.  Let's just say that I was able to get her to go to school but, not without a scene.  I was unable to prevent multiple parents from hearing and seeing the tantrum my daughter was having over not attending the boat show that morning.  There is truly nothing as embarrassing as a child screaming and kicking in your arms in school parking lot.  But, there IS something truly humorous about walking through a parking lot filled with other parents (who are staring at you and getting out of your way) while your child is incessantly repeating, "I WANT TO GO TO THE BOOOAAATTT SHOW!!"

Alas, we went the next day.

3 seconds in the boat.

6 seconds in the boat. That's my Bel!



No comments:

Post a Comment